Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Is this really the end so soon? #23

Wow! What a trip this has been to a whole new awareness for me. I was cognizant of Facebook and Myspace as the kids frequently use our internet stations to access them. I had read blogs on library subjects, but it was an entirely different and surprisingly easy experience, to create my own. I loved being able to host and organize my photos on the offsite location Fliker. It has a heck of a lot more memory than my individual computer. Other useful tools to help me organize were Rollyo and Library Thing. However, the most fun of all were YouTube and the image generators. I could have played with those for hours. Too bad I didn’t have time for that.

All of these programs allow one to create a very personal virtual world, and yet they almost all also allow for sharing of information, photos, videos, tags, document creation and editing, etc.
And all of these allow for real customization for the library user. One of the best library sites I have seen for library technology use is Orange County Public Library system in Orlando, FL: http://www.ocls.info/News/default.asp?bhcp=1 . Click on Library Leader to see a sophisticated avatar of the library director. Explore the other options on this page. The phone texting of questions and the translation technology they offer are fabulous.

I can hardly wait until LCPL podcasts stories and have sessions for teens to create their own computer games. A blog is a great way for the library director to get information to the public and get instant feedback on library programs and services.
Thanks to Stephanie for the introduction. I am hardly a technolibrarian, but I feel much more comfortable with these Web 2.0 features and plan to continue using some of them. I think the most important part of this exercise was to look at how young people and libraries are using these.
I really enjoyed this exploration.

No comments: